Friday, October 3, 2008

Need some pussy?

So we've had this cute little stray kitten that's been hanging around our house for a few months now.. he won't let me touch him but he also doesn't run away real far when I try. I've been occasionally feeding him even though my husband has strictly forbidden it. We've rescued other stray cats & dogs before but our current cat Rueben is a cranky old man and isn't crazy about other felines in his house so we've had to find homes for the others. Since I don't think I have any more friends that are willing to take any strays, I've had to curtail my instincts. I've been hoping to get to the point with this one that I could catch him and at least get him fixed and then release him again.
Since my husband has been in Australia, I've bumped up the feedings a bit (bad, bad wife) and yesterday morning I was at my kitchen sink looking out the window and I saw the kitten on my neighbor's porch, he was limping badly, and it looked like he couldn't put any weight on one of his front paws. I went outside to see if I could grab him and take him to our vet... he just sat on the porch crying really loudly and let me pick him right up. I checked the paw out and it wasn't bleeding or anything so since I was late for work, I put him in our basement with some food and water figuring I'd take him to the vet in the morning on my way to work. When I got home from work last night, I checked on him but couldn't find him in the basement, but I figured the poor thing was just getting a good, safe sleep with a full belly.
This morning I walk downstairs and the kitty is mewling up a storm and I panicked figuring his foot was really hurting him and then I realized that the kitty was next to me and the mewling was taking place elsewhere in the basement. Turns out the boy kitty was a knocked up little girl who totally played me for a fool. She had 4 little kittens all over my basement last night. No wonder she let me pick her right up, she knew she had a sucker on the line.. warm, dry, safe place to have her kittens and food and water to boot!
So after totally freaking out, I got a box fixed up with old towels and collected the babies from all over (she really wandered while having them) and had to cut 1 of the kittens free from the placenta. EW! Mama got in the box with them, but in the process stepped all over the poor things and laid right on top of them. I'm not entirely sure she knows what the heck to do! Heck I don't know what to do!
My husband called about an hour after I got them settled, it was about midnight in Sydney and he was staying with some friends he hadn't seen in zonks, so of course they started hitting the Jack Daniels (hard). It made it a heck of a lot easier to tell him we were parents, but I'm not sure he'll remember when he wakes up in the morning! So in 8 weeks does anybody want a kitten??? Please??? They'll be fixed and have their shots!

(I'll borrow a camera from someone and post pictures of them later)

4 comments:

Kim said...

You always make me laugh! You are a mess!! Sounds like a very exciting night.

I think Molly would like one for a treat so we best not. Thanks for the offer though!

Anonymous said...

ehn ehn ehn!
no photos? you are heartless. i'm glad you can use the word "pussy". been using it all day here. i have a 3-speed brady bunch bike. told some cyclist that anyone who needs more gears is a pussy.

but ehn ehn ehn...

kittens? you're a grandma now. sucker! look around for vets. if you put "free kitties" out on telephone poles, you can get the bad types. go to the vets and ask if you can put up posters. i got my newest cat when i saw a notice at the vet's. i was paying for my dead kitty's bills. you'll get animal lovers. esp if you choose a cat vet.

ehn...

PHOTOS!

sophianchor said...

so i'm sitting here in the library dying laughing!! a knocked up cat..ugh. I'll ask around for potential parents. You always amaze me with your wit and charm.

Cynical Dirt Doll said...

just wait till I start posting photos of the little hellions.. you will all die of the cutes and want one of your own!