Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Enjoy your health!



So the other day when I was at Whole Foods, the bagger told me to "enjoy your health" as I was leaving. My first instinct was to roll my eyes and think "fucking hippy" but then I started to think about it....and I realized I really, really do enjoy my health. Today is the one year anniversary since I went Raw Vegan and it totally changed my life. I was a crappiest food eating, alcoholic, smoking, lazy, fat, aging girl... in one day everything changed, DH & I threw out all the food we had in the house, went to the farmers market stocked up on fresh fruits and veggies and started eating our way to health. The first few weeks were ridiculously hard, we both went through major detox as we had given up caffeine, alcohol, sugar, salt, meat... all in one blow. Let me just say that I hated fruits & veggies, I would only eat them if forced to, so for me this was a real leap of faith. We persevered through the rough patch and just continued eating nothing but fresh, raw fruits & veggies & drinking nothing but water. Once my body got used to what I was feeding it, my energy levels went through the roof and I dropped 15 pounds like it was nothing.
It wasn't the easiest thing, commercials for pizza were driving me crazy and our social lives suffered since very few places serve raw foods.. salads were always too small and overpriced and since we had stopped drinking even bars were no fun. It was just supposed to be a 30 day thing.. which then crept to a 45 day thing and then a couple month thing and here we are a year later. We've adjusted a bit... we'll drink red wine sometimes and we've gotten better at knowing which restaurants have good stuff, now the way we eat is just 2nd nature.




It has totally changed me, in September I started running because I couldn't sit still any longer and running sounded appealing, and if you know me, you know that I always swore I'd never become a runner. Oddly, I took to it like a fish to water, getting up at 6:30 am to go run is something I look forward to! I know that it's all due to giving my body the best, freshest foods possible and avoiding anything that is processed and has un-pronounceable ingredients in it. So back to the Whole Foods bagger... I really love my good health, I love how I feel in the mornings, I love how strong my body is, I love how it all seems to work right and I love that I feel much younger than I am. I'm sticking with this whole healthy eating and running my butt off thing.. cuz life is so much better like this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i think i could live on steamed (no, it's not raw) zucchini alone. oh, and artichoke.

oh, and the bag of white "cheddar" cheesy poofs they sell at Whole Paycheck. oh, and their nibblets (chocolate-covered raisins). those are raw.
can you do those?

congrats and happy anniversary.